Saint John Parkour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where traceurs and traceuse in the Saint John and surrounding areas can communticate with each other

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Colder Weather Gear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GrayShine

Colder Weather Gear Empty
PostSubject: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 am

I was wondering, what you guys wear when it starts getting chilly out like it has been lately. Or if you pack it up for the winter, and start again next summer.

You gotta have some balance right? When you start you'll be colder, but once you get going you don't wanna overheat. And you can switch out of heavier stuff into lighter, but then carrying weight becomes an issue.

What're your cold weather setups? And if you've packed it up for the winter in the past, what do you think you'd use?

Comments, guys?
Back to top Go down
Kylekat

Kylekat

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 5:20 pm

I've tried without gloves last winter. Way too cold. The mechanics' gloves that are lined but have extra grip are awesome.
I have a tendency to wear jeans and a hoodie in the winter. I do a lot of training after dark, so it works for me.
If it's too cold to get away with just a hoodie I bail and go snowboarding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackheartedconfessions.blogspot.com
Wolf

Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 11:47 pm

i find winter is time to take a break from vaults and practise flips...Hey but thats just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Kylekat

Kylekat

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Wolf wrote:
i find winter is time to take a break from vaults and practise flips...Hey but thats just my opinion

Ohh, definitely.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Kylekat wrote:
I've tried without gloves last winter. Way too cold. The mechanics' gloves that are lined but have extra grip are awesome.
I have a tendency to wear jeans and a hoodie in the winter. I do a lot of training after dark, so it works for me.
If it's too cold to get away with just a hoodie I bail and go snowboarding.
Will write article on gloves and jeans considering the disputability of wearing them.

As for cold weather, I would say take a break from outside thing and try to find somewhere indoors like a gym.
Back to top Go down
https://sjpk.forumotion.com
Kylekat

Kylekat

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Ghost wrote:

Will write article on gloves and jeans considering the disputability of wearing them.

As for cold weather, I would say take a break from outside thing and try to find somewhere indoors like a gym.

Gloves in general aren't great unless they really have grip. As for jeans, I have stretch ones that don't immobilize too much. Gym pants are better, though, and warmer.
Back to top Go down
GrayShine

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:59 pm

For the gloves situation, I know it's typically bad form to wear them, what with calluses and such, but I've got a decent pair of bike gloves that I've used before, and I got a pair of new, partly-neoprene, warmer sailing gloves that I want to try out this winter. They're a little stiff, but I'll work 'em in.

And Ghostie, indoors, agreed.
Back to top Go down
Goat

Goat

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey folks.

NB is not a particularly friendly place for winter outdoor training; it's hella cold, wet and ice-encrusted. However, down in Halifax, when i trained there, it was pretty much clear of snow and ice. When I was there, I wore a Thermal hoodie for MEC layers with a dri-fit T-shirt, my MEC strech pants, and a pair pf polypropelyene long johns; for the feets, some wool socks stuffed into my Merril pivots (I gotta say, best shoes I've ever owned).

The hands issue is a biggie. I went without gloves, because that's what everyone around me was doing. They said it was good conditioning for your hands. Initially, it sucked pretty damn hard, but once we wrere done the warm-up, my hands felt fine, despite the cold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colder Weather Gear   Colder Weather Gear Empty

Back to top Go down

Colder Weather Gear
Page 1 of 1