Saint John Parkour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where traceurs and traceuse in the Saint John and surrounding areas can communticate with each other

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CrimsonRed

CrimsonRed

Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) Empty
PostSubject: Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis)   Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:08 am

What is Jumpers Knee / Patella Tendonitis?
The Patellar Tendon / Ligament joins the kneecap (patella) to the shin bone or tibia. This tendon is extremely strong and allows the quadriceps muscle group to straighten the leg. The quadriceps actively straighten the knee in jumping to propel the individual off the ground as well as functioning in stabilizing their landing.

Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) Jumper10

As such this tendon comes under a large amount of stress especially in individuals who actively put extra strain on the knee joint such as those who regularly perform sports that involve direction changing and jumping movements. With repeated strain, micro-tears as well as collagen degeneration may occur as a result in the tendon.

Just a thought, Just don't exert your knees to the point where you get this paticular injury. High Heights, Repeated Jumps can cause an extreme amount of pain in the area just below your knee cap, and will potentially "knock you out" of parkour for a few weeks. More lasting damage can be caused if you ignore the symptoms of knee pain and strain on your tendons.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Bending knees past 90*   Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

An Excellent point. So, let me make another point to help with that.

While training, Whether it be vaults, precisions, or landing, try not to Bend your knees past 90*

Jumping and Precisions you will have to exert more pressure on your knees then necessary to bring your body upright. It is counter productive
Remedy Instead of over bending your knees, trying swinging your arms more. Swing them back when your bending down, and forward when jumping. You should notice a considerable difference.

Vaults This is an uncommon problem, but I have seen it before. Again, too much force on knees, also your approach will be low while actually vaulting, which could result in you tagging your foot or something.
Remedy Try pushing and lifting your body more with your hands when they are on the rail/obstacle. A little upper body conditioning goes a long way.

Landing This one is common. Also the worst you can do. Although landing a little past 90* is okay here, but when you land with alot of weight on your feet, it put a huge amount of pressure on your ankles and knees. Its is very bad for you.
Remedy While landing, lean forwards and put your hands out. This will relieve alot of the stress and pressure from your lower body joints.

Parkour is a full body sport, and relying on just your legs is more harmful then good for you. Also, for the actual degree that you shouold be working at, it varies from person to person, but 90* is a good average.
Back to top Go down
https://sjpk.forumotion.com
CrimsonRed

CrimsonRed

PostSubject: Re: Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis)   Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Yes, like lifting heavy loads, it is unhealthy to rely solely on your legs, and bending them to absorb the recoil on the -less than soft- cement is crucial to maintaining good healthy knees.

Also, using the arms helps makes your trajectory from the place where you are jumping to the ground more balanced, and less skewed off to the side, the same way tight-rope walkers use their arms to stay on the wire.

While on the subjects of remedies and other preventative measures in parkour, maybe Ghost in the Information portion you can offer advice on what sort of footwear and clothing would help the process of parkour a little easier, if you have not already done so.

Also, Since I like helping people not get hurt, I was thinking I could post a nice list, one topic per injury that could occur. Not to drive people away, but to warn, and inform. Along with the injuries, you and I -could post some preventative measures and treatment for any problems one might have.

I leave the decision to you. I can not type question marks because I am on a library computer, and I can not use apostrophes either..

PSP
CrimsonRed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis)   Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis) Empty

Back to top Go down

Jumpers Knee (Patellar tendinopathy / patellar tendinitis)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Saint John Parkour :: Fitness and Conditioning :: Injury Discussion-
Jump to: